Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Creative Expectancy

I feel different.

It's invigorating.  It's as though some treasure that has laid dormant inside my soul has come back to life—a resurrection of sorts. I have a great expectancy for 2014 in a lot of areas, but specifically in the area of design.

This isn't the product of a new desire, but of the awakening of an old one. And its rebirth was not a sudden epiphany, but a slow cultivation in my heart.

It all started with one major milestone.

Some of our wedding's collateral I designed
This past August, I was overjoyed to marry my best friend and biggest supporter.  We recently received our wedding photos, and I can't stop poring over the memories frozen in time.  In fact it surprises me how I am able to describe so verbosely the candid shots almost as if I were narrating a current happening.

It revives each lost emotion, and I get the privilege to experience the beauty of the day over and over again.  The day itself was full of joy and freedom, but the months leading up to the big day also afforded  me another type of joy.

I am a graphic and web designer by passion and our wedding was the perfect exploit to create a marketing campaign.  And guess what? I may be a tad biased, but the client was pretty spectacular too!  Instead of the usual limitations and massaging that a concept typically involves when working with a client, I was able to design every detail with no one but myself (and my husband!) to please.

It was blast.  And since I work for a large printer there was (almost) no limit to the profusion and creativity of the project.  I am proud of what I did, and it succinctly reflected my and my husband's personalities and passions.

It also reminded me how much I love design, and how much I've needed to return to the desire of my passion.  I've let the busyness of life drown this out, and it robbed me of creative treasures that God has planted for me.

Yes I'm one of the few blessed people whose day job and passion coincide, but I forgot to tend to my own creative needs.  Like a couch potato I am not exercising the creative heart I was given.  But here is where I start.

I now have the exciting task before me to create my freelance company's brand identity. And it is in this exciting place where my faith and talent collide, and it's no simple task.  I want an identity that will set me apart in the creative industry, but also acknowledges the very Person who has brought me to this very opportunity.

I'm looking forward to getting creatively fit!

No comments:

AddtoAny